Monday, March 8, 2010

Dante's Inferno

It's hard not to like Dante's Inferno. It feels familiar, cool monsters, bad-ass hero. The controls are tight, the music is eerie and memorable. The puzzles are mostly fun, and are rarely frustrating. The camera can be glitchy and for graphics this nice, and an enviorment this intricate and stylized, it would have been nice to have some controll over it. It takes some getting used to useing RB instead of X or B. I'm not going to pick at the differences from the poem, or the similarities to God of War. Kratos moved a lot like The Prince of Persia, who moved a lot like Laura Croft, who moved a lot like someone else anyway.

Making my through Hell I kept waiting to see George Bush, Hitler and Thomas Edison - but apart from saying "bitch" and "tits" they really did stay pretty true to time period. I won't give any spoilers, but I will say that adding a To Be Continued at the end of your game is kind of sleazy and cheap. Like begging for another $50 from the player for next year, for quite possibly the exact same experiance. I'm not sure how Dante would hack up Pergatory and Heaven, and I don't think I want him to. The story and the ending could have been much more fufilling if the team had focused on making the title stand alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment